TBD is building a platform and protocols that enable developers — from startups to established financial institutions — to more easily create solutions in the decentralized financial space that further economic empowerment globally. TBD’s vision is a decentralized future that returns ownership and control over finances, data, and identity to individuals. We invite the world to join us in creating and adopting open and decentralized technologies that solve real problems for real people. You will be an essential contributor as we deliver this mission.Job Description
As a member of the TBD Foundational Engineering team, you will build systems to help minimize risk to our Lightning services. You will be at the forefront of developing internal controls that will not only be leveraged by TBD, but potentially other Block business units.In this role, you will work closely with our compliance, legal, and product engineering teams to ensure TBD meets compliance standards within current and future markets, enabling us to scale quickly and efficiently.
- Design and build the first systems to help TBD act quickly on risks to our Lightning services
- Work closely with cross-functional stakeholders (both technical and non-technical) to gather and refine requirements
- Help set a strong technical foundation and team culture
- Be a thoughtful partner in shaping future team initiatives and direction
- 5+ years of software engineering experience
- Professional or hobbyist experience working with blockchain technologies, specifically Bitcoin and/or Lightning
- Experience building high quality products end to end - from technical design, implementation, testing, and launch
- An ability to navigate ambiguity and reach a clear understanding of problems affecting our users
- Natural curiosity and desire to grow both yourself and all aspects of the team
Technologies we use and teach:
- Go, Kotlin, TypeScript (to name a few)
- Datastores of all kinds (such as MySQL, DynamoDB, data warehouses)
- Cloud based tools (such as AWS, Datadog)
- And more!
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $167,300 - USD $204,500
Zone B: USD $158,900 - USD $194,300
Zone C: USD $150,600 - USD $184,000
Zone D: USD $142,200 - USD $173,800
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.