Legal & Compliance Director
At Caldic we are continually developing our capabilities and we strive to become better every day, with the goal to build long-term relationships. To add value to our company, and to our inspiring solutions we are currently looking to add to our team. Are you a natural leader with a proven track record in the industrial market? Do you have the drive to succeed in a moving fast forward company? Then we are looking for you!
Position function: Reporting to the General Counsel located in Rotterdam, NL, with a dotted line to the CFO, North America, the individual will be responsible for legal and compliance and for building a strong legal and compliance function across North America (Canada and USA). The individual will be tasked to implement and continue to develop the existing legal and compliance policies and framework, while creating awareness enhancement of Caldic’s corporate values throughout the organization. The role will be based in Mississauga, Ontario in a hybrid work environment.
Scope: The Legal & Compliance Director will create and provide training for, and enhance empowerment of local management and employees. The position will anticipate on a continuously changing legal and compliance landscape and advise the business in a pragmatic way.
Major tasks and duties:
- Take the ‘helicopter-view’ and ownership to build a strong legal and compliance function, working closely together with both divisional/regional management and executive leadership team.
- Establishes compliance standards and designs improvements to internal control structures.
- Review contracts in the North American team to ensure legal and compliance are maintained
- Minimizes legal risks by understanding current and proposed legislation, enforcing regulations, recommending new procedures, and complying with legal requirements.
- Takes the lead in identifying legal and compliance risks and pro-actively reacts to developments in the North American legal and compliance landscape.
- Keep up to date with, and understand relevant laws and regulations, monitor compliance with laws, regulations and internal policies.
- Advise on data protection and privacy matters for the North American team.
- Create and provide training to local management and employees to enhance awareness of legal and compliance standards.
- Manage external legal resources as required and manage strategic initiatives as well as tactical day-to-day legal and compliance requirements
- Responsible for legal and compliance across the North American region, with a down to earth facilitation style for local level.
- Collaborate with divisional/regional management, executive leadership and employees to establish a culture of compliance.
- Be the accessible main point of contact for all questions relating to legal and compliance.
- Engage in merger & acquisition transactions as required
KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum 8 years of legal experience, including contract law and compliance
- Law degree
- Experience with the practical implementation of compliance programs in a North American environment
- Strong legal expertise in corporate and commercial matters.
- Natural charisma and gravity to build trust at all levels of the organization
- Reliable, ethical, determined, ambitious
- Experienced with training and education programs regarding compliance topics
- Ethics and compliance experience with a variety of compliance topics and/or codes of conduct
- Experience with clients in manufacturing and in the food industry would be a significant asset
- Passion and creativity to further strengthen the legal and compliance culture and program of the company
- Willingness to travel
At Caldic we value our team spirit, built on strong relationships and open communication. You will be part of a community where you can always get support from experienced colleagues. At the same time we encourage an entrepreneurial mindset: you have the freedom to act and take initiative to bring your ideas to life. At Caldic we want to give everybody the opportunity to make a difference.
Every day hundreds of thousands of people around the world are in touch with a food, pharma, personal care or industrial product that has been handled with care by Caldic. At Caldic we are the linking pin, connecting people, products and solutions for a better world. But we go beyond connecting to ensure we deliver on our business partners' requirements for added-value R&D, manufacturing and packaging solutions, while minimizing the environmental impact. This makes Caldic the partner of choice in innovative and sustainable solutions in life science and specialty chemicals. Our tagline ‘Because we care' underlines our commitment to our people, our business partners and our planet. On a daily basis around 1200 Caldic employees go the extra mile to deliver value-add solutions. Caldic is present in 19 countries in Europe, North America and Asia Pacific. For more information, please visit www.caldic.com.
Caldic Canada Inc. is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon: Age, Citizenship, Colour, Family Status, Gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), Gender Identity or Expression, Marriage and Civil Partnerships, Physical and/ or Mental Disabilities, Political Belief, Race, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Accommodations are available upon request for any candidate and/ or employee.