Here at Appian, our core values of Respect, Work to Impact, Ambition, and Constructive Dissent & Resolution define who we are. In short, this means we constantly seek to understand the best for our customers, we go beyond completion in our work, we strive for excellence with intensity, and we embrace candid communication. These values guide our actions and shape our culture every day. When you join Appian, you'll be part of a passionate team that's dedicated to accomplishing hard things.
As a Lead Software Engineer working on the Appian platform, your mission will be to ensure Appian is always fast, scalable and up to whatever tasks our customers configure it to do. You will be solving problems of scale and flexibility that most engineers never see, building a product capable of serving our customers in ways you never imagined. Your scope extends from the high-performance compute layer to the cross-platform user interface to the design tools used to create it.
- Leverage knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and design patterns to write software in a full-stack web and mobile environment.
- Leverage relevant software development experience to radiate best practices and faster development.
- Manage availability, latency, scalability and efficiency of the product by engineering reliability into software and systems.
- Contribute to software performance analysis and system tuning.
- Key contributor to team feature breakdowns/sizing and design of new feature implementations.
- Moderate degree of personal responsibility for the overall performance of the team, including capabilities, quality, stability and velocity.
- Perform code reviews which provide feedback not only on code quality, but on design and implementation.
- Build automation to prevent problem recurrence.
- Seek to identify opportunities for code refactoring and performance optimizations on a regular basis and champion these efforts within the team.
- Mentor junior software engineers by sharing best-practices and providing guidance on how to become more proficient.
- Share advanced/expert knowledge with others in the department, both on and off team; maintain a reputation as a key resource in those areas.
- Lead technological changes to keep platform modern.
- Effectively communicate technical designs verbally, visually and/or in writing for small to medium sized technical audiences.
- Contribute to Appian's long-term documentation through publishing relevant, high-quality content to Engineering's technical documentation site
Preferred Experience Level: MS in Computer Science or related field/degree and 5+ years of relevant experience, or a BS and 7+ years of relevant experience; Experience in a high-volume or critical production service environment; Fluency in Java; Exposure to Cloud Native application development;
Education: B.S. in Computer Science or related field/degree
This role is based at Appian's Headquarters in McLean, VA. Employees hired for this position will have the opportunity to work in a flexible, hybrid environment. If you are not already located in the Washington, DC Metro Area, your willingness to relocate will be a contingency for this position.
Appian is a software company that automates business processes. The Appian AI-Powered Process Platform includes everything you need to design, automate, and optimize even the most complex processes, from start to finish. The world's most innovative organizations trust Appian to improve their workflows, unify data, and optimize operations—resulting in better growth and superior customer experiences. For more information, visit appian.com. [Nasdaq: APPN]
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at ReasonableAccommodations@appian.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.