Job Title: Security Analyst
Job Requisition ID: 48175
Full or Part-Time: Full-time
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Scope: Open Competition
Closing Date: October 5, 2023
Classification: Systems Analyst Level 2
The Government of Alberta is committed to a diverse and inclusive public service that reflects the population we serve to best meet the needs of Albertans. Consider joining a team where diversity, inclusion and innovation are valued and supported. For more information on diversity and inclusion, please visit: https://www.alberta.ca/diversity-inclusion-policy.aspx .
The Ministry of Health leads work in the areas of Alberta health insurance and benefits, doctors, hospitals and facilities, and other healthcare supports and information. For more information on the work Alberta Health does, visit this link: https://www.alberta.ca/health.aspx .
The Health Information Systems Division is responsible for the administration of Alberta’s Health Information Act including health information policy and advice as well as the strategic planning and delivery of information management and technology systems and services that support the strategic goals of the Ministry and the health system.
The Privacy and Security team within the Ministry of Health is looking for a strong team player to join the Health Information Act (HIA) Policy, Privacy, and Security Unit. If you are a collaborative team player who takes initiative and supports a solution-focused approach to information technology security and risk management, we want to hear from you!
As a Security Analyst you will be tasked with the protection of Alberta Health’s information assets from a confidentiality, integrity, and availability perspective. You will be responsible to identify, assess, monitor, detect, investigate, research, and respond to threats and incidents impacting the security of information assets.
The position supports the Department’s Information Security Management Directives (ISMD) and contributes to the safe operation of the computing environment. Incumbents may also be responsible for participating in or coordinating the development and implementation of security controls, technology, processes, policy instruments, or awareness materials.
The Security Analyst Works Closely With The Manager, Privacy And Security To Maintain And Provide Risk-based Information Security Advice For Both The Department And The Provincial Health Sector By
- Supports the development and implementation tracking and risk management reporting of the Alberta Health Information Management Security Directives, security policies, strategies, processes, and other controls in compliance with Alberta Health and Government of Alberta Information Security Management Directives and Standards.
- Working with Information Technology operations and business areas to identify Department standards, policies, processes, and Security by Design principals; and to ensure adequate security and necessary remediations are applied and maintained within current and new IT environments.
- Provide expert support to the health sector security working group, facilitating cross-health system work and discussion with stakeholders around threats and mitigation strategies for the health sector.
- Participation in security threat risk assessment processes, identification of risk and advice, identification of necessary deliverables, and mitigation of vulnerabilities and threats.
- Facilitating information security assurance audits and reports audits (e.g. SOC 2 Type 2 vulnerability assessment, penetration tests, etc.), including analysis and provision of risk-based advice for business areas.
- Reviewing and updating department policies, and any related standards, policies, processes, and business facing supporting material.
- Reporting and documenting security metrics and incidents to management and others as required.
- Researching, analyzing, and developing advice to address information security risks for unique scenarios within a complex environment.
- Participating in cross-government initiatives involving information security as required.
Overall, you are passionate about information security and risk management. You are a team player, helping those you work with to understand and address those concerns. You take initiative and bring a collaborative approach to your work and professional relationships. You are adept working in a dynamic and complex environment, and have an ability to leverage creative solutions using existing tools and resources. You have strong written and verbal communication to support Alberta Health’s efforts to manage information security and risk.
in Information Systems Security Management or Information Technology or related computer technology field, and 2 years of related industry experience is required
Related two-year diploma
in computer technology or a related discipline from a recognized post-secondary institution and three years related experience;
Related one-year certificate
from a recognized post-secondary institution and four years related experience.
Required Experience Includes
- Experience and knowledge concerning information security
- Experience and knowledge identifying information security risk
- Experience with information security testing tools and techniques
Preference Will Be Given To Individuals With
- Experience with demonstrated research and analysis skillsets
- Health system experience
- General knowledge of information technology infrastructure and operations
The Following Experience Is Considered An Asset
- Certified Information Systems security Professional (CISSP) designation
- Formal education, training, or certifications directly related to information security and/or risk management
- Significant demonstrated experience operating and adhering to information security frameworks.
A cover letter
outlining how your experience relates to the qualifications of this role is required
Competencies are behaviors that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans. We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process.
This Link Will Assist You With Understanding Competencies
In this role, you will contribute to our team by demonstrating the following behavioral competencies:
- Systems thinking: you understand the interconnectedness and impacts of the IT security and risk management lens through understanding how different program areas are connected and affect each other.
- Creative Problem Solving: take initiative, staying on top of emerging issues/trends and proposing solutions/ideas to your team members. You are comfortable asking for help and leveraging the knowledge of others.
- Build Collaborative Environments: through collecting information and guiding program areas to successful and timely remediation of issues.
- Agility: working in an environment with dynamic and high priority situations. As such, you are able to manage your projects and adjust priorities based on changing needs and rapid decision making and action items. You understand the environmental and business factors that call for practical solutions that leverage current resources, and understand that best practices need to be tailored to the existing capabilities and technologies of the organization.
$2,718.86 to $3,733.10 bi-weekly ($70,962 - $97,433/year)
Hours Of Work
- 36.25 hours per week (full time)
- ATB Place, North Tower, Edmonton. This position requires working from the office with an option to qualify for a hybrid work arrangement (to work remotely 2 days a week).
- Top candidates will be required to undergo security screening.
- This position may be used to fill future vacancies across the Government of Alberta, at equal or lower classification and salary.
- In your resume, please include dates (including months and years) associated with all education and work experience, as well as status (casual, part-time or full-time).
- Example: January 2006 - June 2009, Assistant (PT 3 x 8 hr shifts/week).
Any costs associated with obtaining the required documents/checks as noted or costs of interview travel expenses are the responsibility of the candidate. Out-of-province applicants can obtain the required documents/checks from the province they currently reside in.
The Alberta Public Service is a great place to work
This Role Includes
- The option to participate in flexible work arrangements including working from home (up to two days per week), and support for modified work schedule agreements.
- Positive workplace culture and work-life balance
- No after hours on-call or mobile phone requirements
- Leave provisions including maternity and parental leave
- Professional learning and development budget
- Comprehensive benefits packages and wellness spending account
- Leadership and mentorship programs
- Pension plans:
- Public Service Pension Plan (PSPP) – https://www.pspp.ca
- Management Employees Pension Plan (MEPP) – https://www.mepp.ca
How To Apply
Click on the “Apply Now” button.
Candidates are required to apply for a job online. Please visit https://www.alberta.ca/navigating-online-jobs-application.aspx to learn more about creating a candidate profile and other tips for the Government of Alberta’s online application system.
If you are not currently an employee with the Government of Alberta, the first step in applying for a job is creating your candidate profile within our online application system, click here to access the main log in page where you are able to ‘Create an account’, reset your password (‘Forgot your password’) or ‘Sign In’ should you already have an account.
Existing employees should access the Career tile in 1GX to submit their application in order to be recognized as an internal applicant.
Once you have created your candidate profile, visit the Alberta Public Service job site to apply for jobs at https://www.alberta.ca/alberta-public-service-jobs.aspx .
Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
Resources For Applicants
It is recommended applicants who have completed post-secondary studies from outside of Canada obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) or from recognized Canadian Credential Evaluator; please visit the Alliance of Credential Evaluation Services of Canada for more information.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies, across the Government of Alberta, at the same or lower classification level.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you require any further information on this job posting or a copy of the role profile, and/or require a disability related accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact Veronica Noronha at Veronica.Noronha@gov.ab.ca .
If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check http://www.jobs.alberta.ca for a listing of current career opportunities with the Government of Alberta.