Are you interested in applying your cybersecurity and technical skills for the public good? We are looking for a smart, passionate, and purpose-driven individual to join our team. Cybera is a not-for-profit agency whose mission is to improve the lives of Albertans through the use and advancement of technology, digital literacy and digital best practices. We serve the province’s education, enterprise, research and government sectors.
Cybera is part of the National Research and Education Network (NREN) who are working collaboratively to design and deploy a federated Security Operations Centre (CanSSOC). CanSSOC is developing a Security Operations Centre (SOC) that will support the effective detection and response of cybersecurity threats critical to managing and reducing the growing cybersecurity risk targeting Canadian post-secondary institutions.
The Cybersecurity Analyst working within the Federated SOC will be accountable for monitoring and delivering timely, relevant threat intelligence, investigating events and incidents, and provide technical guidance and support to partners within the community.
This position directly reports to Cybera’s Director of Cybersecurity Operations. The Cybersecurity Analyst will work with a federated team of Analysts across Canada and take day to day direction from the CanSSOC Director, Cybersecurity Operations.
We will ask you to:
- Collaborate with partners to monitor and analyze security events and incidents, providing incident response support, risk management, propose mitigations and support user awareness.
- Identify and prioritize vulnerabilities and collaborate with stakeholders to ensure they are triaged effectively.
- Review threat intelligence and provide thorough reporting to partner organizations.
- Review events and alerts from various security platforms and provide analysis, trending and insights.
- Develop training material and process documentation on relevant security platforms.
- Onboard academic institutions as members to relevant platforms while conducting health-checks and proactively recommend solutions for projects, tools, and applications.
- Develop best practices within your team of analysts.
- Encourage constant review and improvement of processes.
- Occasional domestic and international travel may be required.
- Other related duties and responsibilities, as required.
Your professional tool-kit should include:
Education and Experience
- College diploma or university degree or a suitable combination of education, experience, or other relevant training.
- Minimum of 5+ years of related technical experience with at least 2 years of relevant cybersecurity experience.
- Experience documenting cybersecurity processes, procedures, and playbooks.
- (ISC)2, CompTIA, GIAC, or other relevant cybersecurity certifications are desirable.
- Understanding of cybersecurity risks to the academic sector.
- Ability to identify, analyze, document, and report relevant threats and incidents.
- Experience in identifying and containing security incidents.
- Experience automating investigations and processes using basic scripting and tooling.
- Practical understanding of patch and vulnerability management.
- Demonstrated ability to gain trust and credibility from internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience with both Microsoft Office and GSuite.
- Working knowledge of the following:
- MITRE ATT&CK Framework.
- NIST Cybersecurity Framework.
- Security of cloud and on-prem environments.
- Security platforms such as Firewalls, SIEMs, EDRs, IDS, SOARs
- Case management and information management tools such as ServiceNow, Atlassian (Confluence/Jira), etc.
- Demonstrated understanding of attack activities such as network probing/scanning, DDoS, APT TTPs, malware analysis, etc.
This is your opportunity to be a part of a newly formed SOC that will change the security landscape for post-secondary institutions. We anticipate the role to align with our regular working hours (Monday to Friday, 35-hours per week), however this position will evolve into an on-call or rotational position as the SOC develops.
Compensation and Location:
This position is based in either our Calgary or Edmonton office. Salary will be commensurate with experience. No relocation costs will be awarded.
Benefits of working at Cybera:
This is your opportunity to work for a flexible, tech-forward company that is helping Canada become a more equitable place to work, learn, and play! We offer:
- A hybrid working environment with flexible hours. Highly supportive and inclusive work culture.
- 35-hour work weeks
- Health & Vision benefits from day 1
- Long & Short term disability benefits from day 1
- Flexible Health Spending Account (after successful probation)
- $1,500+ annually for your professional development
- Regular Lunch & Learns - from department updates to EDI topics
- Internal Mentorship program
- Matching RRSP program (after successful probation)
- Healthy snacks in the office - and sometimes unhealthy snacks
- 5 days per year to use for sick time or mental health days
- The opportunity to invest in yourself and your career.
How to Apply:
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. Your application should include a cover letter sharing how your skill-set matches the position requirements (of course we don't expect you to have them all!) While we appreciate all applications, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or recruiter assistance at this time, please.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religious beliefs, colour, gender, disability, age, ancestry, place of origin, marital status, source of income or family status of that person or of any other person.