IT SECURITY ANALYST
BUSINESS TECHNOLOGY SERVICES
NorQuesters are difference makers and we’re searching for someone who can find ways forward and be dependable in ensuring the college’s security infrastructure to join our team as an IT Security Analyst.
Reporting to the Digital Security Team Lead, this role is highly collaborative and will work with a team of IT and other professionals to assist in the operation of IT security systems, security architecture, and enforcing digital security protocols and investigations. You will have the opportunity to work with the IT Security team, business units, and college stakeholders to balance confidentiality, integrity, and availability of NorQuest digital resources with the business drivers speed, agility, flexibility, and performance.
HOW YOU'LL MAKE A DIFFERENCE
- Contribute to the security of the college’s network environment
- Monitor security infrastructure to identify malicious activity and take appropriate actions.
- Assist with the investigation of security breaches in accordance with established procedures.
- Contribute to regular reports regarding security activities.
- Handle IT security tickets in the appropriate manner.
- Develop, improve, and maintain NorQuest’s security and systems architecture.
- Devise, configure, operate, and maintain NorQuest security systems.
- Assist to design the security infrastructure and contribute to long-term system road mapping.
- Define, implement, and maintain the college’s security architecture for consistency.
- Track progress and maturity of the security architecture.
- Contribute to risk assessments, security audits, and audit reviews.
- Participate in information risk assessment activities (e.g. by helping to identify security threats and vulnerabilities).
- Maintain and update the college’s Digital Security Standards.
- Contribute to the regular review of the Digital Security Standards and propose changes as necessary.
- Promote the contents of both the Digital Security Standards and Policy to the college community.
- Contribute to increase the organization’s security awareness through training.
- Support the college community to follow secure IT behaviors to ensure protection of college data, assets, and reputation.
- Assist in the administration of NorQuest’s online security awareness training.
WHAT YOU BRING
- A 2-year diploma in Information Technology/Computer Science or related field.
- A bachelor's degree in a related field would be an asset. Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Certification or enrolment in one or more of the following will be considered an asset ITIL v3 Foundation, SSCP, GIAC Certifications, COMP TIA Security+, Other Security Certifications.
- Desire or intention for CISM, CISSP, SANS certifications.
- 2+ years' of experience in IT security and network operations.
- Familiarity with methods used to detect the presence of malicious activity on servers, workstations, and infrastructure.
- Risk and Incident Response training and/or experience will be considered an asset.
- Experience with the Cisco suite of security tools would be an asset.
WHAT MAKES YOU A DIFFERENCE MAKER?
As a difference maker you bring
- A thirst for knowledge You live by the motto, “It’s not a good day unless you learn something new.”
- Exceptional communication skills You translate developer speak into business jargon and vice versa. You understand that the job will often require you to persuade, influence, or negotiate with others and these are based on strong communication skills.
- Creative Like us, you value good user experience. You love to share new and creative ways of doing things.
- Strong facility in collaboration and consensus building with others both within the college and externally.
- Strong technical ability; excellent planning, design skills, and analytical thinking.
- Ability to follow plans and procedures; decisively and effectively lead under stress and high-pressure situations.
- Ability to use and implement sound judgment when developing and executing operational plans, where there is an increased risk for service interruption.
- Confident in making decisions regarding data security; taking into consideration who owns the data, who is responsible for the data - identify the risks and determine how to mitigate the risks.
- Proven ability to create inclusion while working with diverse groups of people.
- Ability to prioritize work efforts — balancing operational tasks with longer-term strategic security efforts.
- Documentation and presentation skills, analytical and critical thinking skills, and the ability to identify needs and take initiative are key requirements for the position.
$77,122 - $96,373 reflective of what you bring AKA your experiences and education. This is a full-time permanent position with immediate access to our great benefits and pension programs.
We offer flexible work options.
We strive for balance between a flexible work environment, connectedness to the campus community, and ensuring NorQuesters are set up to succeed in their roles and responsibilities. This role will require occasional work on campus, therefore we're looking for someone in the Edmonton area.
Our Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
We're on a journey to become an inclusive, anti-racist, and decolonized organization. NorQuesters are trailblazers – we are curious, creative, and innovative - our lived experiences are honoured, creating accessibility and a sense of belonging for everyone.
NorQuest 2030 We Are Who We Include shares our strength and difference comes from who is included, and along with our students we are learning and growing to listen deeply and say what we feel.
NorQuest College is committed to being an employer of choice for First Nations, Métis, and Inuit people by recognizing, respecting, and supporting Indigenous people's self-determination through the institution’s work in decolonization, reconciliation, and Indigenization.
At NorQuest, we are who we include. We strive to provide access and accommodation throughout the recruitment, application, and selection process. We want to create opportunities for you to confidently be your authentic self. If you would like an accommodation at any stage of the process, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
APPLY TO BECOME A NORQUESTER
If this opportunity delights you and your expertise will shine in this role, we invite you to apply for this position online by uploading your resume and cover letter combined as one document.
Only candidates shortlisted for an interview will be contacted and we’ll make sure to do this within 28 days of the closing date.
COMPETITION NUMBER 2023-4224
CLOSING DATE October 10, 2023 at 1159 PM MDT