Come work for a company that’s committed to the success of each and every employee. A place where innovators and collaborators come together and build on each other’s talents. Where diversity is welcomed and celebrated.
FCT provides industry-leading title insurance, default solutions and other real estate related products and services to legal, lending, valuation and real estate professionals across Canada. With FCT, you will have the opportunity to build a meaningful career. Join us as we continue to do exciting work and make a big impact on our colleagues, customers and communities.
We are continually searching for great talent; individuals who possess a deep commitment to the customers and markets we serve. If you would like to join a company that is committed to the success of each employee and offers challenge, purpose and the opportunity to grow both personally and professionally in a team-oriented environment, you'll enjoy a career with us! We understand that fostering a diverse and inclusive environment is critical for the success of our business, and we actively work towards it every day.
As a Legal Counsel, Corporate, you will provide management with effective advice concerning corporate/commercial agreements, legal compliance, business strategy, risk, and privacy issues. You will work closely with the Senior Legal Counsel to support the business in all areas, including fintech, compliance, inter-departmental support, and corporate/commercial contracts.
As a Corporate Counsel:
HERE’S HOW YOU’LL CONTRIBUTE:
- Provide senior management with effective advice on company strategies, products, processes, and risks;
- Prepare and actively negotiate legal contracts between the company and its customers, service providers and employees, manage an assigned case load, engage and oversee outside counsel, where warranted;
- Provide guidance and drive implementation on incoming Bills or changes to existing rules/regulations which may affect the Company
- Provide continuing counsel and guidance on business strategic issues and legal implications of existing and proposed product and service offerings;
- Be effective in your execution of assigned activities and identification and implementation of strategies that would minimize risk, optimize cost, and ensure client experience, while also considering the contractual obligations of FCT.
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL BRING:
- Member in good standing of the Law Society of Ontario or another provincial law society (preferably 3 to 5 years’ experience);
- Exposure to or familiarity with the following areas of law: real estate, financial services, and technology law;
- Familiarity with Title Insurance an asset;
- Ability to draft, prepare and negotiate large scale MSAs and SOWs in the commercial space with a focus on financial services;
- Ability to act as a lead lawyer in managing internal business relations across departments and client expectations, often with a focus on engaging with lender clients directly (counsel to counsel);
- Strong negotiation and drafting skills;
- Self-starter with a strong work ethic and the ability to take initiative;
- Willingness to quickly adapt to change;
- Able to juggle multiple priorities and tasks in a fast paced environment;
- High degree of accuracy and follow-through in completing work assignments;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and interpersonal skills;
- A strong entrepreneurial spirit; and
- Bilingual (French/English) an asset but not required;
HERE’S WHAT SETS US APART:
Through mentoring, innovative tools, and a variety of programs that engage and reward, we empower each employee to be great and drive results.
- Comprehensive benefits that include virtual healthcare and an Employee & Family Assistance Program
- Group retirement savings plan with company match
- Paid holidays and generous paid time off
- Hybrid work arrangements
- Paid volunteer opportunities and charitable donation matching
- Employee recognition programs that include referral incentives
- Potential for performance-based incentives
- The opportunity to participate in our stock purchase plan
- And more!
*As per terms of the employment agreement
*All new hires will be required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment, proof of vaccination will be submitted to the company upon hire.
The Great Place to Work® Institute has named FCT one of Canada’s Top 50 Best Workplaces, Best Workplaces in Canada for Financial Services & Insurance, Best Workplaces in Canada for Women, Best Workplaces in Canada for Inclusion and Best Workplaces in Canada for Mental Wellness. We’re also one of Achievers 50 Most Engaged Workplaces™ in North America.
By joining us, you will not only be part of an award-winning organization, you will be part of a workforce that is engaged and empowered to succeed.
Thank you for considering FCT. We look forward to meeting you.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of FCT’s hiring process.
To avoid any delays in the recruitment process, if you require accommodation to apply, please provide your accommodation needs in advance. You may also be required to submit adequate medical/other documentation to Human Resources to support your request for accommodation.
FCT is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an active nondiscrimination program. All recruitment, hiring, placements, transfers, promotions, training, compensation, benefits, discipline, and other terms and conditions of employment will be on the basis of the qualifications of the individual regardless of race, colour, place of origin, ethnic origin, citizenship, handicap (including mental and physical disability), sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, creed (religion), marital status, family status (being in a parent/child relationship), age, or any other basis prohibited by the applicable provincial or federal human rights legislation.