Location: Toronto, Canada
Thales people architect solutions that support 85 million mainline and suburban passenger journeys, worldwide, every day. Our Rail Signalling and Communication systems are used on metro lines across major cities, and 72,000 kms of route, 52,000 trains per day in 16 countries are controlled by our Traffic Management Systems. Together We deployed the first-ever nationwide ticketing system which processes over 50 million ticketing transactions in 100 cities daily.
Thales provides world-leading Communications-Based Train Control (CBTC) and interlocking for mass rail transit applications globally. The Centre of Competence for Urban Rail Signalling is located right before you at mid-town Toronto. As the largest office in Canada, we house a department for every step of the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC)! This includes Software, Hardware, Systems Design, Verification & Validation, Operations, etc. The supporting corporate shared services teams in Finance, Human Resources and IT is also located at the office. Our office space was designed to provide a sustainable, healthy workplace that expresses TRSS’s brand while increasing collaboration. Features include Greenguard furniture, EnergyStar appliances, low-emitting adhesives, sealants, and sliding glass doors on internal offices provide daylight and views to the outside. Come join the big Transport family, here in Toronto!
We are currently looking for a Network Design Intern to join the Systems Engineering team in Toronto!
Duration: 4 months (January – April 2024)Key Responsibilities:
- Converts Customer (internal and/or external) requirements into conceptual designs and prepares associated documentation by performing operational analyses, simulations and technical trade-off studies evaluating alternative design configurations and functional features
- Similarly, creates new concepts or modifies existing concepts to fulfil customer requirements
- Creates and documents detailed network designs implementing the requirements
- Deploys the solutions in the lab and supporting testing activities
- Participates in technical reviews of component designs, installation designs, vendor selection and qualification, and other related areas
- Provides support for issues in the field
- Prepares and supports bids and proposals, including customer requirements compliance assessment, gap analysis, architecture design, simulation, trade-off of key features, estimation, etc.
- Presents technical design and reports to customers and/or other engineering/management groups in clear, complete, concise and non-ambiguous terms
- Interfaces and builds working relationships with Software, Hardware and testing groups to ensure timely analysis and resolution of in-house and field test issues
- Must be able to accurately reports work progress & estimates to complete the assigned work
- Candidate should be working towards a System, Electrical/Computer Engineering, or Computer Science degree or similar Bachelor’s degree / Master’s
- Knowledge of network principles and technologies: Ethernet/IP-based networking (switching/routing protocols); Redundancy and high-availability technologies; Network/IT services; MPLS and VPN technologies; RF networking (802.11, LTE)
- Rail signalling such as CBTC
- knowledge of specification-driven network design (as it applies to computer systems with both hardware & software operation are assets)
Thales is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity and inclusivity in the workplace. Thales is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the interview process. Applicants selected for an interview who require accommodation are asked to advise accordingly upon the invitation for an interview. We will work with you to meet your needs. All accommodation information provided will be treated as confidential and used only for the purpose of providing an accessible candidate experience.