Senior Network Analyst
St. Francis Xavier University, located in Antigonish, Nova Scotia, is a top-ranking Canadian university focused on academic excellence, innovation in teaching and research, service to society and international outreach.
We are seeking a Senior Network Analyst to join the Information Technology Services (ITS) team. Reporting to the
Manager, IT Infrastructure, the Senior Network Analyst is a member of a team responsible for the management and security of the university's network infrastructure. Primary duties are focused on the installation, modification, maintenance, monitoring and security of academic, administrative and residence networks and related systems that support the institution’s information technology requirements.
This non-union full-time position working 40 hours per week.
Duties & Responsibilities include:
Network Systems, Security, and Protection
- Acquires and maintains a comprehensive understanding of the university's networks and information systems, including on-premise technologies, externally hosted, and cloud-based solutions.
- Monitors, maintains and secures complex networks and systems that meet institutional computing requirements. These may include servers, specialized appliances, network hardware/software, security and encrypted network access technologies and protection mechanisms, and telecommunication systems.
- Responsible for defining, implementing, maintaining IT network policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Researches, plans, designs, and implements network and security architectures which protect data and information systems against unauthorized access, modification and/or destruction.
- Leads development of requirements for local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), virtual private networks (VPNs), routers, firewalls, and related network services with a security-first focus.
- Monitors provisioned data circuits for commercial internet and research network(s) to ensure adequate bandwidth, maximum performance, and service availability.
- Coordinates and supports work of external vendors in software, hardware, and network installation, configuration, upgrades, maintenance and repair.
- Assists in planning, implementing and upgrading of network security measures and controls.
- Assists in analyzing security breaches to determine their root cause and assess corrective options.
- Assists in response to cyber-security related incidents, provides guidance and insight to post-event analysis/reporting.
- Participates in IT disaster recovery and business continuity development, planning and testing.
- Maintains an in-depth knowledge of advanced networking technologies through formal training, seminars and self-directed study.
- Closely monitors industry trends to ensure that the university is taking advantage of new technologies where appropriate.
- Works closely with fellow team members in developing and maintaining industry-standard technical procedures.
- Provide technical guidance, and support to other technical teams where required.
Projects & Planning
- Develops project plans, budget estimates and RFP requirements for complex, institution-wide systems implementation projects.
- Evaluates RFP responses to identify optimal technology solutions.
- Identifies requirements and proactive solutions to technology challenges.
- A university degree in Information Systems, Engineering, or Math / Computer Science (preferred) is required.
- Strong knowledge of, and experience with network switching technologies, routing protocols, TCP/IP and IP addressing schemes including IPv6, VLANs, virtual private networks (VPN), intrusion detection systems (IDS) and perimeter and application firewalling solutions.
- Knowledge of information security principles and security industry best practices is required.
- Proven ability to understand and adapt quickly to changing threat landscapes and identify opportunities to mitigate or eliminate risks.
- Direct work experience in higher education would be considered an asset.
- Knowledge of ITIL framework would be considered an asset.
- Demonstrated project management experience would be considered a significant asset.
- A proven team player who is methodical, analytical, and exhibits a high degree of creative problem-solving.
- Strong verbal and written communications as well as time management and organization skills.
- Able to build strong relationships with team members, clients, and external parties.
The posting will remain up until the position is filled. To express an interest in this role, please direct your application in confidence to:
St. Francis Xavier University
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
StFX respects diversity and welcomes applications from visible minority group members, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, members of sexual minority groups.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $80,000.00-$85,000.00 per year
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site gym
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care
- Wellness program
Flexible Language Requirement:
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Antigonish, NS: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: In person