Location: Austin, United States of America
Thales people architect identity management and data protection solutions at the heart of digital security. Business and governments rely on us to bring trust to the billons of digital interactions they have with people. Our technologies and services help banks exchange funds, people cross borders, energy become smarter and much more. More than 30,000 organizations already rely on us to verify the identities of people and things, grant access to digital services, analyze vast quantities of information and encrypt data to make the connected world more secure.This is a hybrid position located in Austin, TX with 2-3 days in the office.
Thales is open to considering candidates that are in close proximity to other Thales locations in North America.
Thales is looking for an experience Legal Counsel
who will support Cloud Protection & Licensing (CPL) worldwide business with providing leadership and guidance on a broad range of legal & compliance matters and be a member of the team that ensures that legal and contractual risks are identified and mitigated in support of commercial activities in North America. The ideal candidate will have strong commercial transactional skills preferably including experience with technology, SaaS, cloud services & software licensing agreements, a familiarity with compliance responsibilities, ability to work with a geographically diverse group of customers and stakeholders, a willingness to learn other legal disciplines impacting the technology field, excellent people & time management skills, and pragmatic business judgment.
Thales Cloud Protection & Licensing (CPL) is a worldwide business comprised of a multinational team working together to support the mission of being the CPL designs, develops, manufactures and sells digital trust management solutions (consisting of software encryption products, data security platforms, security management solutions, hardware security modules, authentication and software monetization solutions) to large enterprises and companies throughout the world and CPL Legal & Contracts (CPL L&C) team plays a critical and important role in CPL’s effort to achieve its mission.Key Areas of Responsibilty
- Responsible for drafting, negotiating, structuring, implementing, managing, and monitoring a wide variety of commercial agreements, including but not limited to, sale side and buy side agreements, licensing agreements, master services agreements, statements of work, RFP responses, and supporting documents all in line with Thales policies and procedures.
- Support regional expert in the implementation and ongoing application of Thales compliance policies and procedures. Train internal stakeholders on compliance instructions and policies, monitor application and implementation of the compliance program in business line activities and uphold the policies as needed when questions arise.
- Identify and analyze legal issues, draft key documents and present clear recommendations.
- Advise business partners of contractual rights and obligations and provide interpretation of terms and conditions.
- Ensure that contractual commitments comply with applicable laws and actively manage and mitigate risks relating thereto.
- Uphold the integrity of the business and support local experts with the implementation of legal-related compliance policies and processes adopted by the Group, including those relating to anti-corruption, antitrust, trade compliance (incl. export control) and data privacy (incl. GDPR). Train internal stakeholders on compliance instructions and policies and monitor the application and implementation of the compliance program in business line activities.
- Help develop ways to focus Legal & Contract resources on value added tasks, such as creating playbooks, guidelines and other tools and trainings to empower relevant stakeholders within the organization (sales, customer success, operations, business development and marketing, etc.)
- Drive the coordination of Thales in-country experts in ensuring that contractual commitments comply with applicable laws and regulations (including data protection and privacy laws, tax, competition law, trade compliance and export control, anti-corruption, intellectual property, etc.) and actively endeavour to mitigate any risks relating thereto.
- Serve as product line(s) subject matter expert, supporting product teams and the total product lifecycle development.
- 6 to 10 years of experience in Legal Counsel specifically in Technology, Software and Information Technology
- Law degree from an accredited institution. Bar membership
- Experience drafting and negotiating B2B commercial agreements
- An all-around team player with the ability to apply innovative problem-solving skills and practical business judgment to optimize benefits, foster strategic business relationships and work effectively with all levels of the organization
- Ability to emphasize Thales compliance processes and policies
- Ability to deploy a flexible and business-oriented approach in advising internal stakeholders, including the ability to quickly weigh the relative risk and benefit of agreement terms based on the totality of the circumstances
- Ability to work effectively in fast-paced commercial environment within a matrix organization
- Must be able to develop a thorough understanding of and familiarity with the company's business, its people, products, policies, markets, and customers
- Ability to handle and prioritize a high volume of contractual and other legal matters while meeting required deadlines
- Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills coupled with great organizational & time management skills
- Ability to distil complex situations into actionable recommendations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Proficiency with additional languages highly valued
- Attention to detail with a commitment to mitigating risk to the corporate client
- Experience drafting and negotiating B2B software as a service and cloud service agreements, software license agreements, software maintenance/support obligations, professional services agreements in relation to configuration and installment of software, services and hardware purchase agreements with large, matrixed and international organizations
- Knowledge of and experience with data privacy laws and regulations
- Knowledge of and experience in the technology industry and/or with a channel programs a plus
- Proficiency with Microsoft 365 Suite and standard office tools
This position will require successfully completing a post-offer background check. Qualified candidates with [a] criminal history will be considered and are not automatically disqualified, consistent with federal law, state law, and local ordinances.
Successful applicant must comply with federal contractor vaccine mandate requirements.
Thales champions inclusion and we believe diversity strengthens the fabric of our culture. We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law
If you need an accommodation or assistance in order to apply for a position with Thales, please contact us at email@example.com.