Independence Pet Group® (IPG) is one of North America’s largest pet insurance and services organizations. Our impressive family of brands (PetPartners, Figo, Pethealth, IAIC) supports insurance for more than 600,000 pets in the U.S. and Canada and provides well-being, safety, resources, and business solutions to the pet industry, including microchip identification and an online pet registry.
Reporting to the Privacy Officer – Legal & Compliance, you will provide expertise, guidance and co-ordinate department activities related to the access and privacy program and the information governance program and assist the Privacy Officer with the company’s privacy legal and compliance functions for the enterprise, which includes both the insurance (pet and legacy human health) and non-insurance P&Ls. The incumbent will also be responsible for implementing procedures for managing customer requests relating to freedom of information, privacy and PIPEDA, protecting privacy and other records, information management and information governance activities as required. This role is remote.Job Location
Remote work is not available in AK, MT, HI (US) and Quebec, Nunavut, NW Territories, Yukon (Canada)
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in the creation and implementation of a privacy compliance program that includes the identification and distribution of privacy requirements;
- Assist in oversight and management of any third party privacy assessments; response to subpoenas or regulatory inquiries involving the request for personally identifiable information, data deletion or access requests, and/or information related to our privacy policies and procedures;
- Assist in contract reviews and providing day to day regulatory and compliance advice relative to data protection or privacy, as applicable; and legal and compliance support of the Cybersecurity team.
- Assist as a resource to the larger team in privacy questions.
- Assist the Privacy Officer in research and advice on information governance
- Assist in the development of governance policies, procedures, practices and protocols for the corporation to ensure it is complaint with legislation and aligned to best practices
- Identify, analyze, investigate, review, audit and resolve issues related to Information Governance
- Assist stakeholders to ensure security and control over highly sensitive and confidential information (including human resource records, personal information and proprietary information)
- Coordinate with the corporations relevant programs on access to information pertaining to state and province.
- Assist in the collecting, analyzing and deciding on the release of records based on legislative exemptions
- Assist on preparing decision letters with respect to specific exemptions, fees and appeal rights under access to information.
- Researches and analyzes case law and precedents, and consults with stakeholders to ensure their views and concerns are taken into account in the application of discretionary exemptions to disclosure
- Assists the privacy officer in any privacy breaches.
- Respond to requests for and conducts privacy impact assessments in collaboration with appropriate stakeholders
- Assists in providing training to staff on all topics related to Access & Privacy
Education and Experience
- College diploma or University Degree in a related field
- Law Clerk certification
- Certifications and/or courses in Records Management, Information Management, Information Governance, Information Access and Protection of Privacy is an asset
- 3-5 years related experience
- Experience with Electronic Records Management Systems and Technology is an asset
- Considerable experience in preparing reports and the application of relevant information to support policy analysis and decision-making
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with staff, client divisions, outside agencies and regulators.
- Sound judgment and ability to handle matters of a confidential, proprietary and/or sensitive nature
- An intermediate level of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint) is required
- Demonstrates good judgment and makes sound decisions
- Shows commitment to personal growth, development, and leadership opportunities
- Shares new ideas and challenges the status quo
- Proven written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate with honesty, openness, respect, and trust
- Takes initiative to participate in a culture of learning, mentoring, and sharing
- Contributes to building and being a part of a positive culture
- Demonstrate the corporate values
- Demonstrates personal leadership
- Builds people and culture
- Cultivates open communication
- Shapes the future
- Navigates and leads through complexity and change
All of our jobs come with great benefits including healthcare, parental leave and opportunities for career advancements. Some offerings are dependent upon the location of where you work and can include the following:
- Comprehensive full medical, dental and vision Insurance
- Basic Life Insurance at no cost to the employee
- Company paid short-term and long-term disability
- 12 weeks of 100% paid Parental Leave
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- 401(k) savings plan
- Personal Paid Time Off
- Ten holidays and company-wide Wellness Day off
- Paid time off to volunteer at nonprofit organizations
- Pet friendly office environment
- Commuter Benefits
- Group Pet Insurance
- On the job training and skills development
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
We thank all candidates for their interest.
If selected for an interview, you will be contacted by email within 7 business days.
Independence Pet Group is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, disability, gender, sexual orientation or national origin. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.